CAPX Wiki
Advertisement

Breeding is the process of producing Pokémon eggs from parent Pokémon in the Daycare.

How to breed[]

Two compatible Pokémon can breed when left at the Daycare on Route 12.

Two Pokémon are compatible if they share at least one Egg Group and are of opposite genders. As an exception, Viipii is compatible with genderless Pokémon in addition to Pokémon of the opposite gender.

Pokémon in the Undiscovered Egg Group cannot breed in any way whatsoever.

Breeding rate[]

The chance of any two Pokémon producing an Egg is determined by their species (two Foliat are the same species, while Foliat and Florabri are not) and their Original Trainers. The Daycare Man will describe the two Pokémon's compatibility when the player speaks to him. An Egg may be generated after every 256 steps the player takes.

The compatibility factor of two Pokémon starts at 1. The following modifications are then applied:

  • If the two Pokémon are not compatible, the compatibility factor becomes 0. No other modifications are applied.
  • If the two Pokémon are the same species, the compatibility factor increases by 1.
  • If the two Pokémon have different Original Trainers, the compatibility factor increases by 1.

Every 256 steps the player takes, there is a chance that an Egg is generated. This chance is:

  • Compatibility factor 0: 0%
  • Compatibility factor 1: 20% (40% with the Oval Charm)
  • Compatibility factor 2: 50% (80% with the Oval Charm)
  • Compatibility factor 3: 70% (88% with the Oval Charm)

What will hatch[]

The Pokémon Egg will hatch into a level 1 first stage Pokémon. Its species will be from the evolution family that the female parent belongs to. If neither parent is female, then the genderless parent determines the evolution family.

Parents Offspring
Same species breeding
Avalynxprofile Avalynxprofile Cubzerosugi
Avalynx Avalynx Cubzero
Same evolution family breeding
105 Spookyness 103
Vultergyst Necrow Desoula
Same Egg Group breeding
Musevo2 H2 HaHa1
Musbushel Howlequin Chihaha
Field/Grass Field Field
Viipii breeding
Viipii male sugi 165Ocerumi 163Chayan
Viipii Ocerumi Chayan
Viipii male sugi Grav IwillROCKyou
Viipii Gravollum Necronite
Viipii breeding
164Macuarrior Viipii female sugi Viipiisugi
Macuarrior Viipii Viipii
Orbatom Sugi 4 Viipii female sugi Viipiisugi
Orbatom Viipii Viipii
Viipii breeding
Viipii male sugi Viipii female sugi Viipiisugi
Viipii Viipii Viipii
Undiscovered Egg Group breeding
Montegrew Capulillyprofile None
Montegrew Capulilly None
Undiscovered Undiscovered N/A
Different Egg Group breeding
Eluchadon Sugi edit EDITED CHEST DESIGN2 Wish None
Eluchadon Oarwish None
Field/Human-Like Water 2/Dragon N/A
Same gender breeding
OoaRYul OoaRYul None
Boarealis Boarealis None
Field/Fairy Field/Fairy N/A

In addition, if one of the parents is a Tuliep, the baby will be equally likely to be a Growmeo or a Tuliep. Growmeo cannot be a parent to a baby Growmeo, as its partner will be female and the baby will take its species from the partner instead.

Parents Offspring
Growmeo and Tuliep
Tuliep Sugi 4Gc Growmeoprofile
Tuliep Sugi 4Gc
Tuliep Any compatible
Pokémon
Growmeo
Tuliep

If the baby is Flowger or Doppole, it will inherit its coloring/cap from the same parent that determined its species.

Inheriting moves[]

The baby's moves will be the ones that a wild Pokémon of the same species at level 1 will know. However, the baby is able to inherit moves from one of its parents, namely the one that doesn't determine the baby's species (see above). This is the male parent, or the genderless parent if it is breeding with a female Viipii (for simplicity, it is referred to as the "male parent").

This is a list of moves that can be inherited by the baby:

  1. Any moves defined as egg moves for the baby which are known by the male parent.
  2. Any moves taught by a TM or HM which are known by the male parent, which the baby is able to learn.
  3. Any moves known by both parents that the baby is able to learn by levelling up.

The inherited moves are added to the end of the baby's list of moves. If this results in the list being more than 4 moves, moves from the top of the list are forgotten until the list contains 4 moves, i.e. inherited moves will replace default moves if necessary.

Since any inherited move must be known by the male parent, there cannot be more than 4 inheritable moves.

The moves known by the baby when it hatches from its Egg can be re-taught by the Move Reminder if they are forgotten.

NOTE: The inheriting of TM/HM moves happens in Generation 5 and earlier; it no longer happens in Generation 6 and later. In Generation 6 and later, egg moves can also be inherited from the mother (i.e. from both parents). In Generation 2 Crystal only, moves taught by a Move Tutor can also be inherited from the father. Being able to re-learn an inherited move via the Move Reminder is behavior from Generation 6 and later.

Inheriting stats[]

The baby will inherit a number of IVs from its parent(s). By default, the baby will randomly pick 3 stats (out of HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed), and for each one, it will randomly choose a parent and copy its IV for that stat.

If either parent is holding a Destiny Knot, the number of stats chosen to inherit is 5 instead of 3.

If a parent is holding one of the items listed below, its IV for the corresponding stat will definitely be inherited by the baby. This counts as one of the 3/5 inherited IVs mentioned above. If both parents are holding the same item, one of the parents is chosen at random to inherit that stat's IV from. The items and their corresponding stats are:

  • Power Weight - HP
  • Power Bracer - Attack
  • Power Belt - Defense
  • Power Lens - Special Attack
  • Power Band - Special Defense
  • Power Anklet - Speed

NOTE: Destiny Knot's effect on inheriting IVs is from Generation 6 and later, and isn't in Generation 5.

Inheriting nature[]

If either parent is holding an Everstone, the baby will inherit the same nature as the parent holding the Everstone. If both parents are holding an Everstone, the baby's nature will be chosen randomly from both parents' natures.

Inheriting ability[]

Each Pokémon have two regular ability slots (which may contain the same ability) and one hidden ability slot (which may be empty).

The baby has a chance to inherit the ability slot from the same parent that determines the baby's species (see above). This is the female parent, or the genderless parent if it is breeding with a male Viipii.

If the parent has a hidden ability, there is a 60% chance the baby will also have its hidden ability. Otherwise, the baby's ability slot is chosen randomly from the two regular ability slots.

If the parent does not have a hidden ability, there is an 80% chance the baby will inherit the regular ability slot from the parent, and a 20% chance the baby will have the other regular ability slot.

NOTE: This behaviour is from Generation 6 and later, rather than from Generation 5. In Gen 5, the ability slot cannot be inherited at all if either parent is a Ditto, and in B2W2, the chance of inheriting the hidden ability slot is 80% instead of 60%.

Inheriting Poké Ball[]

Any parent that is in the same evolution family as the baby can pass down its Poké Ball to the baby. If both parents can do so, the baby's Poké Ball will be chosen randomly from both parents' Poké Balls.

The Cherish Ball and Master Ball cannot be inherited this way. If both parents are in these types of Poké Ball, then the Egg will be obtained in a standard red-and-white Poké Ball.

NOTE: This behavior is from Generation 7 and later, rather than from Generation 5. In Gen 5, the baby will always be in a standard red-and-white Poké Ball, and in Gen 6, the female parent's Poké Ball is passed down.

Breeding for shininess[]

By default, when a baby Pokémon is generated, a random number between 0 and 65535 is chosen. If this number is less than 0, the baby will be shiny.

The Masuda method exists (generating up to 5 more random numbers if the previous one doesn't make the baby Pokémon shiny, if the parents have different languages to each other), although this is unlikely to be relevant if trading Pokémon between players isn't possible.

The Shiny Charm will cause a baby Pokémon to generate up to 2 more random numbers if the previous one doesn't make the baby Pokémon shiny, thus making it approximately 3 times more likely for a baby to be shiny.

The two above effects will stack. If both the Masuda method and the Shiny Charm apply, up to 7 more random numbers will be generated.

NOTE: The chance of a Pokémon being shiny has not yet been decided. It is currently 0, i.e. impossible.

Advertisement